Wednesday 27 May 2015

Backtracking algorithm is a great tool.

So I wanted to solve the SUDOKU I just recognized from the image I fed in MATLAB and I tried various logic but nothing worked better than "Backtracking". You can find a great explanation of this on YouTube or  http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/backtracking-set-3-n-queen-problem/  .
Basically, a function is made to recur and return values as true or false if the consistency is maintained or not respectively.

Unlike N-Queen problem where you can output simultaneously, you might find need a global variable that stores the ANSWER matrix of SUDOKU if no empty boxes are possible; or else returning values and stepping out of recurring functions might result in losing of the solved matrix.
I could solve a 9x9 SUDOKU in 3 seconds. My program needs optimization.

Will keep posted on program optimization and better image processing techniques because the current one carries several cons.

No comments:

Post a Comment